- Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind
- Dr Seuss
- As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time
- Cake, "Sheep Go To Heaven"
- Il n'y a pour l'homme que trois événements: naître, vivre et mourir. Il ne se sent pas naître, il souffre à mourir, et il oublie de vivre
- Jean de la Bruyère
(Rough translation: "Man knows nothing but three things: birth, life, and death. He is not conscious of his birth, he suffers at death, and he forgets to live")
- We barely have time to react in this world, let alone rehearse
- Ani Difranco, "Letter to a John"
- The one serious conviction that a man should have is that nothing is to be taken too seriously.
- Nicholas Butler
- The outcome of any serious research can only be to make two questions grow where only one grew before
- Thorstein Veblen
- We have the habit in writing articles published in scientific journals to make the work as finished as possible, to cover up all the tracks, to not worry about blind alleys or describe how you had the wrong idea first, and so on. So there isn't any place to publish, in a dignified manner, what you actually did in order to get to do the work
- Richard Feynman
- Deep down, I'm pretty superficial
- Ava Gardner
- [Talking to a spirit in a séance] "What religion were you?"
"We were Roman Catholics."
"Is that the right religion?"
"All religions are right if they make you better."
"Then it does not matter."
"It is what people do in daily life, not what they believe."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle